Hunger remains a problem, even in affluent suburbs and an improving economy. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 1 in 6 Ohio households reported food insecurity from 2013 to 2015. One in 15 Ohio households reported having trouble putting food on the table even though they earned incomes considered too high to qualify for federal nutrition assistance programs.
LEBANON FOOD PANTRY
The Lebanon Food Pantry provides one of the highest volumes of food assistance in Warren County, serving about 400 households in the Lebanon School District each month. Most of the pantry's clients are working poor and senior citizens on limited budgets.
Located in the City of Lebanon’s historic Academy Building at 190 New Street in Lebanon, the pantry is underwritten by 13 area churches and staffed by more than 90 volunteers. The pantry shares space with the Lebanon Clothing Store and a toys for children program, which provide free clothing and toys to individuals and families in need.
Food drives and donations from schools, businesses and service organizations supply about 40 percent of what the pantry needs each year, which means the pantry must find funds to purchase the other 60 percent.
The pantry is open 9 a.m. to noon, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday evenings.
For more information about the types of items that are needed and ways you can help, contact the pantry at (513) 932-3617.
little miami food services
Little Miami Food Service, also known as Little Miami Pantry, has been serving the needs of Little Miami School District residents since 1988. The pantry provides food and personal care items to about 250 households per month, and applications for assistance are increasing.
The non-profit pantry operates out of a historic red schoolhouse in Morrow and relies entirely on volunteer labor and donations from area churches, businesses, organizations and local government. Volunteers also tend an adjoining garden that grows fresh vegetables for the pantry’s clients.
The pantry is open 9 a.m. to noon., Wednesday and Friday, except the third Friday of the month when deliveries are accepted.
Visit the Little Miami Pantry online for more information or to volunteer or donate. For assistance, contact the pantry at ( 513) 368-9282.